Thursday, July 17, 2014

Leyland Cypress & Mosquitoes



Well, I did it. My neighbors might not be thrilled because I did it organically. I freed my yard of mosquitoes with an organic repellent product. Sorry neighbors, next time I promise to kill them old school style, so they won’t show up at your next barbeque.

Despite a huge amount of rain the repellent is still working. So nice, no mosquitoes! Mosquito control has become a niche service that many pest management professionals, lawn care operators, and specific mosquito control companies are offering. With these “wraps” put on vehicles these days, it is interesting to look at the different marketing done by these companies as I drive through neighborhoods. I have seen a whole lot of these vehicles recently either working in neighborhoods or reloading their product of choice at Possum’s.

With all the rain showers we are getting, regularly scout your yard for anything that might hold water and become a breeding area for mosquitoes. Keeping their breeding areas to a minimum will greatly decrease their populations. A few ounces of standing water can lead to thousands of mosquitoes – scary!

I have been getting an abnormal amount of questions about Leyland Cypress. Unfortunately, like many plants, they have been over used and put in situations that are not ideal for their growth.

Leyland Cypress like a lot of air movement. I see many people plant this tree as a screen, and to get an immediate effect, the trees get planted too close together or grow too close together. Then they begin to struggle.

Leyland Cypress like well-drained soil with some moisture – not wet but not drought stricken either.  I have seen them grown on sandy berms that tend to be too dry for the proper growth of this tree. I have also seen them in heavy, poorly drained clay soil or in wet areas where they struggle.

Leyland Cypress like full sun, which in the landscape as they are developing a screen, can lead to their own demise. They begin to shade each other out. The shade tends to weaken them and then different problems occur.  

Leyland Cypresses are susceptible to many diseases and insects. Some are easily treated and some are not. Hopefully, I will write about some of these pests next week.

Army worms, roaches, chinch bugs, brown batch, mosquitoes, and gray leaf spot seem to be the top problems this week. Be strong!

Always read, understand and follow product label. The product label is a Federal Law.