Monday, December 20, 2010

Last Week of Gifts

The last few weeks I have been talking about gifts for the gardener. Since the moles have been taking advantage of my holiday season articles, I will have to get back to the basics next week.

Last week I wrote about the books and cuttings I was given by my cousin Geary. In my excitement of getting these books and cuttings, I failed to mention her husband Gus. Gus is the Guinness Book of World holder of different sprinkler heads. Gus is also a beekeeper and his bees make the best honey (I might be a little partial) there is. I had some cereal the other day with his honey and it was great!

Gus’s honey reminds me of another great gift idea that always makes me happy. Some of my friends can vegetables, salsa, and jellies. Some people also have deer meat (or sausage, jerky, …) that they give away as presents. While I was at Clemson University, I had a friend from Saluda, SC that use to give me deer meat (usually burger or cube steak) and green beans he had canned. I don’t know what it feels like to win the lottery, but I bet it doesn’t feel any better than getting that bag of vittles!

Another friend, who I believe is a regular reader of the Horticulture Hotline and who I will keep unnamed as to not add any pressure to during this holiday season, cans up some delicious salsa and jellies. When my kids were little, I always said the salsa was too spicy for them – Adults Only. The Raspberry jelly I would claim, since I live in a house of women (hormones), was only for testosterone producers (ie me and the dog – Ol’Boy – and in his current state, after THE OPERATION, I do not know if he still produces testosterone)!

Custom Programs for your lawn and beds is another great gift. I get asked all the time, ”what is this custom program you are always talking about?” Basically, you test the soil on your piece of the Earth and develop a specific schedule to amend the soil based on your soil test results and fight weeds and diseases in a proactive timely fashion. A custom program is the most environmentally friendly way to have a beautiful lawn or landscape.

Be sure to go through the Holiday Festival of Lights at James Island County Park. The event gets better every year and they have been doing it for many years! At ten dollars a car load, what a value!

Always read, understand and follow product label. The product label is a Federal Law.