Monday, December 5, 2016

The Lowcountry - Prevention and Protection Works Best

These high humidity days have really kicked in the Large Patch (Brown Patch) fungus disease. Fame or T-Methyl are 2 good systemic fungicides to apply now.

As the leaves from the trees in your yard fall, be sure to rake them up (consider composting them in your yard) or mulch them with a mower.

Moles have been doing their Holiday shopping. Tunnels everywhere. Read last week’s article on moles at under the Horticulture Hotline tab if you missed it.

Visit Charleston County Park’s Holiday Festival of Lights with friends and family. The Holiday Festival of Lights is one of the best in the Nation and always improving.

Our city, town, county, state and national parks have a lot to offer. The different plantations also provide great landscape interest with the camellias, holly berry’s, and all the other winter color.

I know at Possum's we have gift certificates for that hard to buy for person. I'm sure most other local garden centers would as well. Plenty of parking, buying local, and short lines at the register for the quick in and out would be all the reasons I would need to go that route. 

Now is a great time to test your soil and get on a Possum's Custom Program or buy a gift certificate for someone else to get on a custom program. The time is now to beat the spring rush. Prevention and protection are so important in this area.

Try some SUPERthrive to help keep your Christmas Tree fresh. One drop in a 4 ounce cup of water mixed in with the other tree stand water every 3 to 4 days is all it needs. SUPERthrive won the World’s Fair Gold Medal in 1940, so it is a good product to have around for many reasons.

Any bare areas in the lawn should be teased with cotton burr compost, so the grass will fill in. Weeds love to move in on thin turf.

While cleaning out a file cabinet, I was reminded why I’m a big believer in prevention and protection.

The following is paraphrased from an American Nurseryman article dated 7/1/1989.

An Israeli women’s overzealous attempt to rid her home of a cockroach led to the hospital where her husband was treated for burns, broken ribs and a cracked pelvis.

As told in the National Arborists newsletter, the woman crushed the bug and deposited it in the toilet. However, as cockroaches so often do, this one refused to die, so the woman sprayed an entire can of insecticide in the toilet.

Her husband, unapprised of the situation when he came home, went to the toilet, sat down and lit a cigarette. After finishing it, he flicked the cigarette butt into the toilet, igniting the pesticide. Certain parts of his anatomy were burned in the resulting flames.

As for his broken ribs and pelvis… those occurred when the paramedics were carrying him out. When the paramedics learned how the man burned himself in such an unusual area, they broke into hysterics and lost control of the stretcher, adding injuries to insult.

Prevention and protection – can save your grass…, house, and landscape plants!

Always read, understand and follow product label. The product label is a Federal Law.