Next time you are mowing your grass in 100 degree weather, or controlling weeds, insects, or diseases in your lawn remember the benefits of turf grass include:
· soil erosion control;
· stormwater runoff reduction;
· organic pollutant decomposition;
· groundwater recharge and filtration;
· soil restoration;
· carbon retention and storage;
· natural cooling effect;
· oxygen production;
· air pollution reduction and filtration;
· dust suppression / capture;
· reduced pest and allergy related problems;
· physical and mental health;
· relief from stress;
· human productivity;
· noise abatement;
· glare reduction;
· heat dissipation;
· increased property value;
· complements landscaping;
· quality of life;
· crime control;
· fire barrier;
· recreation and social harmony;
· community pride;
· visible safety barrier from uninvited guest;
· outdoor activity; and
· spectator entertainment.
Healthy turf grass can capture four to seven times more carbon than is produced by the lawnmower’s engine, so feel good when you are caring for that lawn!
Always read, understand and follow product label. The product label is a Federal Law.
Bill Lamson-Scribner can be reached during the week at Possum’s Landscape and Pest Control Supply. Possum’s has three locations 481 Long Point Rd in Mt. Pleasant (971-9601), 3325 Business Circle in North Charleston (760-2600), or 606 Dupont Rd, in Charleston (766-1511). Bring your questions to a Possum’s location, or visit us at http://www.possumsupply.com. You can also call in your questions to “ The Garden Clinic”, Saturdays from noon to 1:00, on 1250 WTMA (The Big Talker). The Horticulture Hotline is available 24 / 7 at possumsupply.com.