Monday, July 18, 2011

Spray Tips

If your animal had fleas and you tried to control them over the past two weeks, hopefully, you are seeing a reduction in the flea population by now.

2011 has been a very busy so far. Drought, record heat, three stores, chinch bugs in April, new product lines, soil tests and custom programs have all kept me very busy. This past weekend (mid - July) I finally took a minute to look at a soil test for my own yard (dated April 25). I guess it is that barefoot shoe cobbler scenario.

The first thing to jump out at me was the fact that I needed 45 pounds of Calcium Lime (most lime used around here is Magnesium based lime or Dolomitic Lime) per 1000 square feet. Seeing as most products go out at 3 to 5 pounds per 1000 square feet, 45 pounds per 1000 square feet is a significant amount.

I definitely need to know the size of my yard, so I know how many bags to pick up and apply. Lucky for me, I have these measurements; however, since I am not going by one of the stores, I’m going to spray some weed killer instead.

The last time I sprayed weed killer in my beds, I made the “rookie” mistake of not starting by the front door. I ran out of my tank of weed killer and time to spray with a small area left in the most visible part of my front yard - by my front door. “Rookie” mistake!

When I spray, I always use blue spray dye. You mix the dye in with whatever you are spraying, so whatever you spray turns blue. The dye shows you where you have sprayed. If you have to stop spraying for some reason, you will know where to start back. If you are spraying weed killer and accidently spray a desirable plant, you can stop and prune the leaves off before the plant translocates the herbicide.

Most importantly, if you spray any on yourself, you will know to wash the product off of yourself pronto. The dye also helps you identify leaks in your sprayer. People that use leaking backpack sprayers with dye know all about “Smurf back.”

Is your dog’s urine killing your grass? Try a new product we brought in from Australia called Dog Rocks. We have tested this product for years and found it to be an effective and inexpensive way to deal with this issue.

Always read, understand and follow product label. The product label is a Federal Law.